Whilst plastic packaging is often criticised, many people are unaware that if plastic packaging were to be be substituted by other materials:
1. The respective packaging mass would on average increase by a factor 3.6
2. Green house gas emissions would increase by a factor 2.7 or by 61 million tonnes of CO2-equivalents per year, which is comparable to 21 million cars on the road.
The main reasons for this are:
1. Plastic packaging usually provide the same function with significantly less material mass per functional unit. In most cases this leads to less production energy and green house gas emissions per functional unit than for the mix of alternative materials.
2. Benefits in the use-phase (prevented food losses, less energy for transportation).
3. The net-benefits of recycling and recovery of plastic packaging are often higher than for alternative materials.
Please consider the effects of using alternative packaging materials!
Dip Moulding is a simple and frequently employed process used worldwide. It works by creating a ‘to-scale’ mould of the product before it is heated and dipped in a liquid PVC or Acrylic, known as plastisol. With this type of process, the speed of entry and dip time determines the shape and thickness of the final product.
PolyBlend Managing Director, Mark Stewart announces his official retirement date as Friday March 31st 2023.
Let me wish all of you – our customers, our suppliers, our staff and my network – a very Merry Christmas!